Sustainability is the ability to meet our present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. In simple terms it can be viewed as giving back at least as much as we take from the environment we live in.
Things I do to be sustainable:
- live in a place where it is easy to be sustainable
- have a solar photovoltaic system to generate all the electricity used at home
- have a rain water catchment system for all house and property water use
- have a vegetarian diet (this also reduces my carbon footprint)
- consume locally produced food as much as possible, and organically grown food when available (I like to know where my food comes from, and to support local farmers)
- compost, recycle, reuse, repurpose, repair
- do not waste food
- as a consumer, I put my money where my heart is; as an investor, I am striving to invest in sustainable business.
For my blog posts related to sustainability look here.